Monday 6 March 2017

Spring menu at Polpo Bristol

I was super excited to go on a mid week girl date to Polpo on Whiteladies Road last week. I had been nagging my husband for a good few months about coming to this award winning Italian and the opportunity never came around.
So naturally when the super babe that is Sarah Starling of Yes Starling! asked if I'd like to join her, who was I to say no! 

After a warm welcome and a drink, I browsed the menu and I won't lie, I wanted 99% of it. From the small plates to large plates, to pizzas, to breads, to puddings, I wanted a bit of everything right there and then. Luckily, Polpo gives you the option to do just that. With no set rules on the order in which you eat, Polpo offer a range of dishes that vary in size and it really takes away the struggle of choosing your main meals. Small plates are just that. Perfect for ordering a couple of dishes and sharing them. Pasta and pizzas came in both small or large options and the bread options could be shared too. 
Now, I have eyes bigger than my belly so it was easier to discuss what we wanted and then go with the welcomed advice from our waiter. 
Here's what we feasted on: 

 
   Beetroot cured salmon, horseradish cream & dill crostini


 
Marinated baby octopuses

 
Spicy pork and fennel meatballs

 
Crab & chilli linguine

 
Squash, blue cheese & walnut bruschetta

 
Roasted sea bream, grilled fennel, brown shrimp & capers

 
Chilli & garlic prawns 

 
Chocolate salami, ricotta doughnuts with blood orange jam & an Aperol sorbet

Of course, all of these dishes were served between the two of us. I might like my food but I could never fit this lot in by myself! 
Overall, the dishes did not disappoint, although I wasn't as keen on the desserts as I had hoped. I knew if I went for something other than my favourite tiramisu, I'd be unhappy. I think this could be a personal quibble rather anything else so do not let that put you off!
As a meat lover, I didn't really opt for much meat. The menu is full of such light, flavoursome dishes that it really didn't need heavier options. I find it's so good to go for food that you wouldn't usually order and now I've poured over the entire menu, I'm already thinking about what I'm having when I return. 
A big thank you to the guys at Polpo for having me and to Sarah for yet again letting me be your date for the night x

No comments:

Post a Comment